Malaysian Cantonese

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
Peace of mind

Re: Malaysian Cantonese

Post by Peace of mind »

Alex Ng wrote:
>Lui is not a hokkien/cantonese word, if you go to hong kong and china, they won't understand you.
Eng Wai wrote:
>I read somewhere saying verifying lui originally a Hokkien word

"Lui" is Cantonese and used by native Cantonese speakers outside Malaysia & Singapore too, surprise !
AlexNg

Post by AlexNg »

To summarize and add more malaysian cantonese misuse that I left out:

Hokkien words:
------------------

1. "Ka Ki" - should be "Ji Kei" for "ownself" as in "ngo ji kei"

2. "diam" - silent, it should be "on jing".

3. "pai" - number of times, it should be "chi"

Malay word
--------------

1. "Sinang" - twisted version of "Senang" - should be "Yung Yi"

2. "Lui" - chinese version of "Duit" for money - should be "Chin"

3. "Sama" - mispronounciation of "Semua" for all - should be "Chuin Pou"

4. "Pasak" - chinese version of malay word "pasar" for market.
The proper cantonese word for market is "Kai Si", night market is "Yeh Si".

5. "Mata" - old version of malay word "Mata- mata" for police. Should be "Chai Yan" or "King Chak".
AlexNg

Post by AlexNg »

Peace of mind wrote:
>"Lui" is Cantonese and used by native Cantonese speakers outside >Malaysia & Singapore too, surprise !

As there are malaysian/singaporean chinese who migrated to canada, they could have influenced the chinese overseas.

But no, they are actually from the malay word "duit" which was also taken from the dutch word (someone in hokkien forum told me), you must look at the native speakers in hong kong. I have never heard my hong kong friends speak "lui" or cantonese serials speak "lui" unless they have a actor who comes from nanyang in the film and they purposely speak that word for "added" effect.

So don't be confused.
Peace of mind

Post by Peace of mind »

AlexNg wrote:
>As there are malaysian/singaporean chinese who migrated to canada, they could have influenced the chinese overseas.

"Lui" is used by Cantonese in Vietnam too ! It is NOT from the Malay word "duit", surprise !
qrasy

Post by qrasy »

AlexNg
>As there are malaysian/singaporean chinese who migrated to canada, they could have influenced the chinese overseas.

Peace of mind
> "Lui" is used by Cantonese in Vietnam too !

AlexNg, If the word is found in Australia, US, Canada or Singapore you can claim that it is Malaysian Chinese who migrated there, but how about countries like Vietnam?
Peace of mind

Post by Peace of mind »

Oh AlexNg by the way, "Lui" is also used by Cantonese speakers in Cambodia even though Cantonese speakers are not the majority amongst Chinese (mostly Chao2 Zhou1) in Cambodia ! Surprise !
AlexNg

Post by AlexNg »

I do not know how "lui" got into cambodia but it is definitely not a chinese word.

Try speaking it in china / hong kong / taiwan where they have no relatives from south east asia and they won't understand.
AlexNg

Post by AlexNg »

The purpose of this thread is so that malaysians can recognize foreign words from hokkien and malay.

Surprisingly, malaysian hokkien don't borrow words from cantonese, it is usually the other way around.

Most people are confused which words are pure cantonese and which words are hokkien/malay. So please change your words so that cantonese all over the world can understand each other.

Nowadays, those malay educated chinese use a lot of english words (as high as 70%) because their command of the chinese language is poor.
Peace of mind

Post by Peace of mind »

Hi AlexNg,

I already told you "lui" is NOT a Malay word ! My grandparents are from Canton China and they said "lui" when I was a little kid, every native Cantonese speakers in Vietnam say "lui" for "money" ! Are you telling me my grandparents learned that from the Malay word "duit" for "lui" !

AlexNg wrote:
>Surprisingly, malaysian hokkien don't borrow words from cantonese, it is usually the other way around

I don't know how good or bad Malaysian Cantonese' Cantonese is, but Cantonese in Vietnam do not borrow words from Hokkien. Having said that, a couple of popular words exchange between dialects is unavoidable, however, I don't mix Cantonese and Vietnamese or Mandarin in my conversation, I don't mix English in my Cantonese or vice versa !
When people mix 2 languages into one, they simply tell people that they are not good at either ones !
AlexNg

Post by AlexNg »

Peace of mind ,

Lui cannot be of cantonese origin because I have been watching hong kong serials for like 30+ years. And I even mixed with hong kong people for 4 years.

There is someone in the hokkien thread that says it is instead a hokkien word instead of malay word.