Cantonese originally not Chinese???

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
KP

Re: Cantonese originally not Chinese???

Post by KP »

" However, in the Ming Dynasty, you were once again subdued under Chinese rule, and didn't really obtain independance from the Manchurians and French, until the French pulled out at Dien Bien Phu."

This is news to me since the Ming invaded in 1406 and were kicked out by Le Loi in 1427.

And independence from the Manchurians? LOL.....we never had to wear queues.

Would you like to mention the Chinese Invasion of 1979? Thats a funny one too.
Sum Won

Post by Sum Won »

KP:
Le Loi still had to maintain a tributary status with China, so I wouldn't say it was all that independent.

QuangTrung:
Kudos to the person whose name you use. As I recall however, he wanted to re-establish the tributary ties again as well. Unfortunately, he died, and the rest of the Tay Son fell along with him.

And yes, I have heard of the 1979 invasion. I'll agree with you, that's pretty hilarious!

I'll continue on this one some other time...
Sum Won

Post by Sum Won »

QuangTrung:
A touch-up on the ACTUAL Quang Trung... After he'd died, Nguyen Anh basically wiped out what was left of the former Tay Son, with French help. The only thing stopping the French, were administrative paperwork, and differences in the French government, as to what to do with VietNam.

Back to the 1979 invasion however, I found something that really made me laugh when I saw it:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/war/spratly.htm

Take a look on the map they have on the claims for the Spratly Islands! Now THAT's funny!
KP

Post by KP »

'http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/war/spratly.htm

Take a look on the map they have on the claims for the Spratly Islands! Now THAT's funny!'

Yea it is pretty funny that China would claim such islands. Of course we should not be surprised as the Chinese are known for claiming land wich is not theirs. LOL
I believe China invaded the Spratly Islands in 1975, not 1979.

1979 is when the PLA or maybe I should say the "Cantonese PLA" were pushed back by a bunch of police and militia in Northern Vietnam, while the REAL Vietnamese Army was taking over Cambodia.
Hung Dao Dai Vuong

Post by Hung Dao Dai Vuong »

China invaded the Paracel Islands (Hoang Sa) in Jan 19th, 1974 actually. There is a conspiracy theory that the Vietnamese communist leader Pham Van Dong already sold that islands to the Chinese in the secret treaty in 1958! Paracel islands are in full control of china right now!

In 1989 the Chinese once again invaded an island named Johnson Reef from the Vietnamese and they killed like 72 Vietnamese soldiers. Johnson Reef is one of the islands of Spartly islands (Truong Sa)!
Sum Won

Post by Sum Won »

KP:
Just because the base of the southern division of the PLA is located in Guangdong, doesn't mean that everyone in the Army is Cantonese. When they had to station troops in Hong Kong, they had to give Cantonese training to the troops.
Sally

Post by Sally »

Hi guys
I think there is one elemantary thing that you guys have to make clear first
Cantonese and Mandarin are both two of the many dialects in China,with the latter one mainly spoken in Beijing,Chinese,generally is referred to the language spoken in China,it's just that as time goes by,people tend to regard Chinese as Mandarin.So personally I really figure that Cantonese is just one dialect of Chinese!
:)
select

Post by select »

..............mandarin is a national language. other name for canton is yue for its language.canton is part of han chinese tribe.and japanese is an outsider who borrow 1.000 more words from chinese. this is the foolish argument i had ever seen.
HKU Student

Post by HKU Student »

It's time to finish this "Moliu" topic. I really don't know why ppl argue this meaningless topic here. The fact nowadays is simple: Hong Kong ppl do write Chinese and think they're Chinese (at least most of them)...
Cantonese Speaker

Post by Cantonese Speaker »

I recommend this web page
http://www.ylinn.com/BBS/BestArticle.asp
to anyone who want to know more about Yue or Lingnan history.
3 articles strongly recommended -- 共來百越文身地--嶺南文化根, 粵語口語的古渶語詞 and 回望嶺南(轉載)
but Simplified Chinese, sorry to someone who can't read.

[%sig%]