~ the meaning of "lau hei"? ~

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
Gwen

~ the meaning of "lau hei"? ~

Post by Gwen »

Hi

Gwen here.

Anyways I wanted to see if anyone in the forum has heard the word "lau hei" before? "lau" like to leak (lau sui - leak water) and "hei" - like air.

I noticed that the "wi wi woi woi" thread posted by Steve needs some threading. I myself would like to know what "wi wi woi woi"/"we we woy woy" could mean.

Thanks,
Gwen
Dylan Sung

Re: ~ the meaning of "lau hei"? ~

Post by Dylan Sung »

It means to scoop up, using a net, or some cooking instrument. For instance if you're fishing, or if you're frying something, you'd use a long handled strainer.

I'm not sure of the characters, but I think it may be 撈起, where lau is "to scoop", and hei means "up"

Dyl.
漏氣

Re: "lau hei"

Post by 漏氣 »

"lau hei" literally means "leak air" as u've translated it already or in characters as "漏氣".

1. u can say, 'the tire/balloon is "lau hei".'

2. of course u can use "lau hei" to describe a person who is sluggish and/or reluctant to move on/work on sth. e.g., mom urges the kids, 'dont be "lau hei" and hurry up plz!!! the schoolbus is coming!!!'

hope the above helps. :)))

[%sig%]
Dylan Sung

Post by Dylan Sung »

Hohoho! Its one reason why romanisation without tones is misleading ^_^

Dyl.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Gwen wrote:

>Hi
>
>Gwen here.
>
>Anyways I wanted to see if anyone in the forum has heard the word "lau >hei" before? "lau" like to leak (lau sui - leak water) and "hei" - like air.
>
>I noticed that the "wi wi woi woi" thread posted by Steve needs some >threading. I myself would like to know what "wi wi woi woi"/"we we woy >woy" could mean.
>
>Thanks,
>Gwen

You noticed that the "wi wi woi woi" thread needs some threading? It's one thing to keep changing your name and keep asking questions, it's another to start acting like you're two or three or four different people and trying to elicit/encourage a response from the forum members. Especially when the romanization is so obscure.
joopal

Re: ~ the meaning of

Post by joopal »

U can use "lau hei" to describe a person who is sluggish and/or reluctant to move on/work on sth. e.g., mom urges the kids, 'dont be "lau hei" and hurry up plz!!!
pauljeffkouho

Post by pauljeffkouho »

the meaning of "LAU HEI" is 漏气 , probably means air leaking, but u don't add tones to these words, so it can also mean 捞起 .
you've probaly mistaken ngi ngi ngoi ngoi for wi wi woi woi.
Kate454

Post by Kate454 »

yes "lau hei" means leak air I've heard in this sense, never hear about sluggish/ reluctant person, interesting..