Fui Chew (Huizhou) Hakka

Discussions on the Hakka dialects.
Mark Yong
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fui Chew (Huizhou) Hakka

Postby Mark Yong » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:31 pm

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:37 pm

Mark Yong

Postby Mark Yong » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:23 am

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:59 pm

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 pm

I just read the following article:

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%83%A0%E5%B7%9E

Could it be that the branch of Hakka that I come from be 惠城話, and not 惠州客家話? I do know for a fact that the so-called 惠州客家話 is definitely different from the variety of Hakka that my family speaks. Also, my grandfather used to tell us that our Hakka is from "惠州城", as compared to the other type of 惠州客家話, which is from "惠州省". The above article does imply that 惠城話 is not really Hakka, but rather a variant of the 粵 dialect (interestingly, my elders refer to our dialect as 惠城話, not 惠城客家話).

Dylan... any ideas? :)

Cheers,

Mark Yong

Dylan Sung

Postby Dylan Sung » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:04 pm

Mark,

The Yue influence is quite obvious in your vocabulary as is my wife's dialect. For instance "t'ei = to see", and "fun gau = to sleep". I've not been to Huizhou, but perhaps the names of the same places may have changed over the last several decades, and what your grandfather called them are no longer the same. For example, you hear Meixian dialect, but Meixian is split into Meixian and Meizhou nowadays, so you could say you spoke Meizhou dialect rather than "Meixian", when in fact it's just a modern convenience for local administration to split the area up, when they are really the same overall area.

Huizhou and Huicheng sound like the same place to me. Huizhou city perhaps. Anyway, that's a guess. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, that is, you'll need to try your dialect out in Huicheng/Huizhou to see if it belongs or comes from the area.

Cheers,

Dyl.

hong

Postby hong » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:26 pm

mark,I think you must know that in SEA huizhou association means huiyang,hailu ,etc.

Yap ah loy is from huiyang and of course only speak huiyang hakka but many people called him as huizhou hakka.

There are a few articles talk about this special huizhou hakka language.

http://chinese.cari.com.my/myforum/viewthread.php?tid=348031&extra=page%3D2

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi, Dylan & Hong,

Thanks for the insights and links.

Another peculiarity that crops up in my family's 惠州話 is the difference in some of the family relationship terminologies. Some of these terms also depart from Yue. Two that I can think of are:

Mother - "a năi" (I am not sure if the Hanzi is 奶 or 娜. However, we refer to "mother and son" as "liong jáe năi" (兩仔娜), which is identical to the Cantonese "liong jái ná"). I believe in Cantonese, "ná" also means 'female'.

Aunt (father's sister) - This is a very peculiar one that I cannot figure out. My paternal grandfather had two elder sisters. My father used to call them "nyi dăi" (二 ?) and "sam dăi" (三 ?) (they were the 2nd and 3rd in my grandfather's generation), and not "nyi gu" (二姑) and "sam gu" (三姑). Only the sisters younger than my grandfather were addressed as "gu" (姑). As my only source of old Chinese terms is my trusty 康熙字典,I went through all the entries with the 女 radical. The only terms that appear to come phonetically close are 娣 媂 and (女+低) - none of which are satisfactory (even the closest one, 娣, is defined differently, as "wife of a younger brother").

Can anyone hep me with the Hanzi?

Cheers,

Mark Yong

Dylan sung

Postby Dylan sung » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:15 am

hong

Postby hong » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:18 pm

lan xian dapu hak

Ka Fa

Postby lan xian dapu hak » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:25 pm

I am a dapu hakka. I find that there is generally very little difference in the various variants of hakka dialect. the terminology and idiomatic expressions are quite similar. This is due to the fact that many old classical words are still used by hakkas. Words like 'wu' for black as used for black crow. I can understand most variants. As compared to mandarin, there is a systematic difference as in:

vowel 'a' is substituted by 'o'

kan (mandarin) (see) is kon

han (cold) is hon

fan (rice) is fon or pon

hau (good) is hou

vowel 'o' is replaced by 'oo'

fon (wind) is foon

tong (pain) is toong

tfc.chin

Re: Ka Fa

Postby tfc.chin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:26 am

tfc.chin

Postby tfc.chin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

lan xian dapu hak

Fun Gau

Postby lan xian dapu hak » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:24 pm

The words 'fun gau' are definitely Cantonese or yue dialect. Kak Kah Fa (Hakka) for sleep is 'soi mook' (to rest your eyes) in all variants. I speak fluent Hakka, Minnam (Hokkien), Cantonese (Yue), Teochiew, Mandarin and, of course, English and Malay/Indonesian. I can understand all variants of Hakka.

ong

Postby ong » Tue May 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Return to “Hakka dialects”