Book on common vocabulary between Minnan and Old Chinese

Discussions on the Hokkien (Minnan) language.
ong

Post by ong » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:33 am

眩 =in love with someone is also 永春 dialect not just amoy as mentioned by 周。
Yongchun dialect throw =monnh .So there is a radio DJ said 林丹 monnh his shoes into the crowd.
Mark Yong

Post by Mark Yong » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:10 am

Andrew wrote:Having seen the RoC MoE list, I don't think there's any danger of incorrect characters being used for no reason...
Where can I download a copy of the RoC MoE list of characters?
Mark Yong

Re: Book on common vocabulary between Minnan and Old Chinese

Post by Mark Yong » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:14 am

A few more doubtful entries:

1. ch'ŭa "to bring <something/someone> <somewhere>". 廈門方言誌 has .

2. ch'ŭe 扌+罪 "to search". The book gives as the alternate character. However, these two characters have two different meanings, with being the closer one, i.e. 求也.

3. tám "wet". 廈門方言誌 has 氵+眈 and . The latter two's fanqie appears to be closer than the former, but the definition is off.

4. "dry". 廈門方言誌 has . Neither fanqie is satisfactory, though both have definitions close to "dry".

5. kiŭ 虯/虬 "bent". The book appears to give an alternate character, i.e. 走+勼, both having almost-identical definitions.

6. sni "用鹽腌物" "v. to pickle with salt". The book gives the character as . The sentence iŏng iám sni hú "use-salt-(to)-pickle-fish" would end up awkwardly as 用鹽鹽魚.

Note: I am aware that the 廈門方言誌 is not a reliable source for benzi for Hokkien words, but am just using it as a basis for comparison.

More to come later...