i want to know hakka people in scotland/uk/the world

Discussions on the Hakka dialects.
Matt

i want to know hakka people in scotland/uk/the world

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:00 pm

if you want to speak to a fellow hakka person then email me.im a scottish born hakka chinese.

Hans Ocil Reditya

Re: i want to know hakka people in scotland/uk/the world

Postby Hans Ocil Reditya » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:08 am

Dear Matt,

Nyong Pen ? or Ngion Pan ? ( How are you )
My name is Hans Ocil Reditya , i am an Indonesian born Hakka Chinese coming from Phan family , born in 1967 I am now working in Chemical Trading company in Jakarta .

I was graduated from English department , Major in English Literature. I was born in capital city of Bangka Island named Sungailiat-( Liat Kong we named it in Hakka ) near Pangkal Pinang City ( Pin Kong-in Hakka ).

My father and my mother is Hakka, born in Indonesia in Bangka Island. They are the 4rd generation of Hakka people. My grand grand grand father who migrated to Bangka island when Tin rush in colonialization era originated from Mei Shien . I never been in Mei Shien. I got this story from my grand Frather when i was a child, and our parent often told us the story of it. It was so interesting to us. The imaganery home town seemed so like in fairy tale.

As the 5rd generation of Hakka people we are not talking in Hakka anymore although we know well of this dialect since our generation - born 1960-an above - is more familiar with Bahasa Indonesia. Some of us or some part of Hakka people still communicated in Hakka dialect daily , mainly in Khun Thien-West Kalimantan, Singkawang town and some part of Bangka Island , like Hakka people in Belinyu city-( Belijong- in Hakka ). In Bangka island , we called Hakka dialect as Thong Boi mean the languange of Chinese people. Meanwhile Chinese people in Bangka called them self as Thong Ngin.

When we were a child some older generation hakka people often told us that we have to speak in Hakka dialect-Thong Boi since it is a shame not able to talk in Hakka as a Chinese. They sometimes make a proveb joke like this :

" Thong Ngin Mo Ti Thong Boi, Mo Si Te Boi Soi"
-Thong : Chinese
-Ngin : People
-Mo(m ): Do not
-Ti

Means : Hakka who is not able to speak in Hakka, It is a bad luck than having no death.

By the way, How about you and your fellow in Scotland ? I am so interested in your story of your Hakka people in Europe. I am now becoming more interested in Hakka story and the thing about it since i want to more about my ancestry root.

I am so keenly waiting for your reply along with your Hakka story in Europe.

Wait for you reply.
Best Regards,

Hans Ocil Reditya

Hans Ocil Reditya

Postby Hans Ocil Reditya » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:11 am

Dear Matt,

My name is Hans Ocil Reditya , i am an Indonesian born Hakka Chinese coming from Phan family , born in 1967 I am now working in Chemical Trading company in Jakarta .

I was graduated from English department , Major in English Literature. I was born in capital city of Bangka Island named Sungailiat-( Liat Kong we named it in Hakka ) near Pangkal Pinang City ( Pin Kong-in Hakka ).

My father and my mother is Hakka, born in Indonesia in Bangka Island. They are the 4rd generation of Hakka people. My grand grand grand father who migrated to Bangka island when Tin rush in colonialization era originated from Mei Shien . I never been in Mei Shien. I got this story from my grand Frather when i was a child, and our parent often told us the story of it. It was so interesting to us. The imaganery home town seemed so like in fairy tale.

As the 5rd generation of Hakka people we are not talking in Hakka anymore although we know well of this dialect since our generation - born 1960-an above - is more familiar with Bahasa Indonesia. Some of us or some part of Hakka people still communicated in Hakka dialect daily , mainly in Khun Thien-West Kalimantan, Singkawang town and some part of Bangka Island , like Hakka people in Belinyu city-( Belijong- in Hakka ). In Bangka island , we called Hakka dialect as Thong Boi mean the languange of Chinese people. Meanwhile Chinese people in Bangka called them self as Thong Ngin.

When we were a child some older generation hakka people often told us that we have to speak in Hakka dialect-Thong Boi since it is a shame not able to talk in Hakka as a Chinese. They sometimes make a proveb joke like this :

-Ti : Know
-Boi : Languange-Dialect if iit follows the word of Thong, it also mean able to, could .
-Si : Death, die
-Te : A kind of conjunction word
-Soi

Means : Hakka who is not able to speak in Hakka, It is a bad luck than having no death.

By the way, How about you and your fellow in Scotland ? I am so interested in your story of your Hakka people in Europe. I am now becoming more interested in Hakka story and the thing about it since i want to more about my ancestry root.

Wait for you reply.
Best Regards,

Hans Ocil Reditya

Hans Ocil Reditya

Postby Hans Ocil Reditya » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:13 am

Dear Matt,

-Ti : Know
-Boi : Languange-Dialect if iit follows the word of Thong, it also mean able to, could .
-Si : Death, die
-Te : A kind of conjunction word
-Soi : Bad luck, misfortune

Wait for you reply.
Best Regards,

Hans Ocil Reditya

Jackie Yeung

Postby Jackie Yeung » Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:56 am

I am chinese of origin and am from a hakka family born and brought up in

Mauritius.I came to England in 1969 to do nursing and I am at present

working with an independant hospital (BUPA) near Leeds.I am married

with three grown up sons.I do speak a bit of hakka but do not read or

write chinese.I have always been interested in my own culture but would

like to learn more and of course to practice the language.

Claudette de la Haye

Postby Claudette de la Haye » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:16 pm

For those of you who are Chinese from the Caribbean, Guyana (UK), Marituis, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tabago! Our ancestors came fron Canton aka Hong Kong.

I am currently searching fro my father from Jamaica who is Chinese.
for those of you egar to trace your linege as I was place in the Web-browser "Jamaican Chinese" or "Canadian Jamaican Chinese 2000"
goto the liks with refence to Guyana (UK) and you will see the boat loads of your ancestors names which, have been recorded in the history books.
You will be speechless to see the inventory of each boat. All family names are listed so you get an indepth idea as to what happened.

Good luck! And thank you for the information on the website.
I too am looking to learn Hakka starting with the alphabet, numbers and words. Tou will be happy to know some people speak it in Jamaica!

Laters. Claudette de la Haye (Chung)Jackie Yeung wrote:

> I am chinese of origin and am from a hakka family born and
> brought up in
>
> Mauritius.I came to England in 1969 to do nursing and I am at
> present
>
> working with an independant hospital (BUPA) near Leeds.I am
> married
>
> with three grown up sons.I do speak a bit of hakka but do not
> read or
>
> write chinese.I have always been interested in my own culture
> but would
>
> like to learn more and of course to practice the language.

Claudette de la Haye

Postby Claudette de la Haye » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:24 pm

For those of you who are Chinese from the Caribbean, Guyana (UK), Marituis, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tabago! Our ancestors came fron Canton aka Hong Kong.

I am currently searching fro my father from Jamaica who is Chinese.
for those of you egar to trace your linege as I was place in the Web-browser "Jamaican Chinese" or "Canadian Jamaican Chinese 2000"
goto the liks with refence to Guyana (UK) and you will see the boat loads of your ancestors names which, have been recorded in the history books.
You will be speechless to see the inventory of each boat. All family names are listed so you get an indepth idea as to what happened.

Good luck! And thank you for the information on the website.
I too am looking to learn Hakka starting with the alphabet, numbers and words. Tou will be happy to know some people speak it in Jamaica!

Laters. Claudette de la Haye (Chung)Jackie Yeung wrote:

> I am chinese of origin and am from a hakka family born and
> brought up in
>
> Mauritius.I came to England in 1969 to do nursing and I am at
> present
>
> working with an independant hospital (BUPA) near Leeds.I am
> married
>
> with three grown up sons.I do speak a bit of hakka but do not
> read or
>
> write chinese.I have always been interested in my own culture
> but would
>
> like to learn more and of course to practice the language.

Li_Amoy

Postby Li_Amoy » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:53 am

my mom is hakka born in indonesia. My father is hakka from malaysia. I as well was born in indonesia. Many of my friend's parents are hakka from jamaica.

Shiung Jean Alain Yee

Re: I want to know hakka people in scotland/uk/the world

Postby Shiung Jean Alain Yee » Sun May 02, 2004 1:09 pm

Dear Jackie,

I'm just glad to come across your mail as I was surfing on the internet.

I just wanted to say that I'm also a hakkanese born and brought up in Mauritius. I immigrated in U.S.A. one and a half years ago.

You are welcome to email me telling me more about yourself. I'm be glad to respond.

God bless you,

Shiung J.Alain

Shiung Yee

Re: I want to know hakka people in scotland/uk/the world

Postby Shiung Yee » Sun May 02, 2004 1:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm just glad to come across your mail as I was surfing on the internet.

I just wanted to say that I'm also a hakkanese born and brought up in Mauritius. I immigrated in U.S.A. one and a half years ago.

You are all welcome to email me telling me more about yourselves. I'd be glad to respond. I can speak a little hakka.

Shiung

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri May 14, 2004 3:00 am

Hi all.....I was born and raised in Liverpool. My parents and relatives emigrated to the UK from Hong Kong. THere are quite a few Hakka ppl in the UK. most fo the new generation speak Cantonese now. My generation is the last to speak Hakka.
I now live in California.

Iggy

sadony--chyanks

Postby sadony--chyanks » Sat May 29, 2004 7:56 am

halo,Matt,pleased to meet you here.
How have you been lately?
well,i welcome the opportunity to introduce myself --my name is sadony,born in jiangning,bobai,guangxi,china,now i am majoring the chinese language and literature in a university in changchun,northeast china.i am a Hakka people also,but i don't know which generation i am .
i have often surfed the internet to search for the imformation about the Hakka history,the Hakka cultures and costoms,which i am absolutely interested in .
we the hakka people are intelligent,dilligent,wisdom and have been making the contribution to the world .and we are developing our own cultures and passing it to the younger generation.
as we all know ,we Hakka people are good bussinessmen ,some of the Hakka people in china or abroad have earned a lot of money,and they post some money back to supporte the construction of our hometown.
now,many a changes have taken place in opur hometown,and many a well-to -do families have apeared more and more.
well,i have to stop now,if you want to know something more about my hometown,just keep in touch.
Good luck to you!
Give my best wishes to your family.
e-mail:sadonychyanks83@yahoo.com.cn

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:52 am

how are u ? im from Auatralia. i am that aurthor from that crappy book u are reading.

Foe Siong Tjoeng

Postby Foe Siong Tjoeng » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:43 pm

Dear Hans,

I read with great interest your message to Matt. I am also a Hakka ngin from Belinyu-Bangka (Indonesia). I left Indonesia to go to Germany in 1965 (Before you were born). I lived in Belinyu until I finished my Junior high school (SMP St. Joseph) and went to Jakarta to attend Senior High School (SMA Kanisius). I have visited your town, Sungai Liat many times during my time in Bangka. I have always enjoyed our school trips to pantai Matras and the downtown area. In fact, I also have to take my six grade (elementary school) final examen in Sungai Liat. I remembered that I stayed overnight in my uncle house with one of my school's friend. Later, I went back there often, because my brother and his family lived there for few years. He worked at the state company Tambang Timah Bangka (I think that the company is gone)

I received my Ph. D. degree in Chemistry at The Universitaet Tuebingen, germany. The time in Germany was a great experience for me. Unfortunately, there were no Hakka ngin in Tuebingen at that time. The only time I have the chance to speak Hakka ("Belinyu" dialect) was when I went to Holland to visit my older sister who lived in Delft. Later on, when my parent came from Indonesia to visit me, then I spoke Hakka to them. They did tell me where my ancestors came from, but I forget the exact name of the place/province in China.

You mentioned that you were born in Sungai Liat. How long did you lived there? Are you still speak Hakka within your family? Do you have a chinese name? I will be glad if I could hear from you!

Best regards,

Siong Tjoeng

St. Louis, USA

[%sig%]

Hans Ocil Reditya

Postby Hans Ocil Reditya » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:12 am

Dear Siong Tjoeng,

it is much more great interest for me to have your reply email on mine. I never thought that Hakka ngin from Belinyu will be dispersing to Tuebingen Germany in Europe as you do now. It is really an Hakka ngin traits dare to face new frontier anyway away in the world.

My Hakka name is Tjin Liong , from the familiy name of Phan. Now i am 37 years old.I also visited your town many times when i was in senior high school during my regular visit all over Bangka island for marching band perfomance during 1984-1987.

I believe that you arlready much away from Bangka island. TTB you mentioned has already gone as a private company and annexed by Indonesian Government long time ago some times in 1990-s fprior to Indonesia crisis.

Siong Tjoeng,
How is your family? How many kids do you have ? Are you still speaking Hakka with them ?

I have 2 kids, 1 doughter 5 years old, and 1 son 3 three years old. My wife is originally coming from Pontianak-Khun Thien. She is coming also from Hakka family in remote Sintang. My wife now is speaking Hakka daily with my kids .

As you know that Liat Kong young generation as i am ,do not speak Hakka fluently compared to Belijong Ngin like you are. Your Hakka is much more a better one i supposed.

Siong Tjoeng,
If you like music, please try to find ATOK from taiwan. he is a hakka folksong singer. I have 3 cd albums of him. He sang Hakka very nice.

I hope that we could write each other then. I am now gathering any information about Chinese Diaspora especially about Hakka tribe in the world.

It is really a great pleasure to have your reply.
my email:
hans@indokemika.co.id

Best regards,
Hans

Return to “Hakka dialects”