Vietnamese is sino-tibetan ?

Discussions on the Cantonese language.
qrasy

Re: Vietnamese is sino-tibetan ?

Postby qrasy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:13 pm

MrFez,

I agree with you that Mandarin, Cantonese etc... Are different languages, most splits from Middle Chinese.
If the Hakkas had not merged shang ands qu, their language would be more similar to Middle Chinese than are Cantonese.
There are some Old Chinese words found in Vietnamese and there are not many people that realise them.
They are more similar to native Viet than the Middle Chinese loans (the Sino-Vietnamese) so they are often called Vietnamized Chinese.
These Vietnamized Chinese are also loanwords.

However, we must look into Tibetan/Burmese-like words in Vietnamese. They are even more "unrealised". But I don't think these are loanwords.

Viet_in_Madison_Wisconsi

Postby Viet_in_Madison_Wisconsi » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:57 am

"And do you watch Hong Kong drama? The Hong Kong actresses are all so fair. Are they pure south Chinese?"

--don't forget that Asian women, particularly Hong Kong, and other S.E. Asian countries are using skin lightening chemicals. This is terrible in my opinion. In America, Black women use it. And that freak Michael Jackson uses it to the point where he is now whiter than WHITE! It is never openly discussed but the social pressures for black women to lighten their skin is pretty significant. Black-owned companies selling this stuff are making a killing at it. The pressures are of course much greater if a black woman wants to get into the entertainment industry. Just look at rap videos. Hong Kong actresses are probably under similar pressures. To what extent Asian women are using skin lightening chemicals is, I don't know, but CNN did a story on it a few months ago. Although they treated it in a genteel way adding that while Asian women were lightening their skins to get that milky white look, white women were tanning to get that bronzed look.

AlexNg

Postby AlexNg » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:20 am

Most pure chinese either south or north doesn't need skin whitening lotion !

They just stay out of the sun and will maintain their natural white skin, we are talking about the skin when they were born....

Postby . » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:19 am

Hahahahah! I've never heard of people not being born without skin!

This thread ought to cease, and a new thread started. Takes too long to download.

Viet_in_Madison_Wisconsi

Postby Viet_in_Madison_Wisconsi » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:32 am

Note: AlexNg has moved this thread to: "Vietnamese is sino-tibetan Part 2"

and the URL is:

http://www.chineselanguage.org/forums/v ... =3503#3503

It's part of the "Cantonese language forum" and its URL is:

http://www.chinalanguage.com/forums/list.php?f=1

Accordingly, all new posts should go to the new thread; the original should be read of course...

And yes Alex, you're welcome... :- )

Viet_in_Mad_Wis

Postby Viet_in_Mad_Wis » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:42 am

This forum has suddently changed format and the old link to Part II of this thread is now dead, the new link is:

http://www.chinalanguage.com/forums/vie ... 5b30d15cb7

Return to “Cantonese language forum”